Monday, September 26, 2016

Thoughts on Journaling

I have been journaling since 2nd grade. Not consistently, but yeah since 2nd grade. I love it. It is a way to help me clear my head and get all my thoughts out there and really think things through.

Remember when I turned 22 and I made my "22 List" of things to do that I'd never done and writing in my journal everyday was one of those things? Well I did that and I loved it. Some days all I wrote was "I'm tired." or "I love Adrian!" or "I'm mad." with no other explanation. But that's ok. Most days it was because I was really tired but I had made that goal.

Anyways, I was thinking the other day of how I only really journal when things seem to be hard or challenging in my life and I wished I could change that. But then I had another thought, but you need some back story.

Every night when we put Little Buns to bed there is a routine. Change his diaper, put him in pjs, get his milk, and as he drinks his milk we read to him a chapter of the Book of Mormon. Not one with pictures or anything but just the book (well we read it from our phones because otherwise he tries to tear all the pages). He probably doesn't get a lot of it... or any of it...maybe it's just a way to make sure I'm reading the Book of Mormon everyday. Idk but that's what we do.

Anyways, we've been reading the Book of Mormon and I noticed that the scriptures skip over when everything is going well in their lives too. Literally hundreds of years pass in a single verse because every one is righteous and doing what they are supposed to.

So now I don't feel as bad about not writing as much in the good times of my life. Though now I do try to see the good in a situation to help any one who may read my journals in the future.

Do you ever go back and read your journals and just cringe? Or laugh at yourself? I'm tempted to rip those pages up or build a time machine for the sole purpose of going back in time and punching myself in the throat. And then I'd shout,

"You know why!" and go back to the future.

Anyways, I get really embarrassed thinking my great great great great granddaughter will read my journals and I've been such an idiot. Although there are some good things.

And even with her in mind, I still don't censor myself as I write, because I'm keeping it real, you know?

Ok so if you read this far you should know I'm sorry I've been gone, I'm doing my masters and I am really busy with that. But I decided not to do it on Sundays because I need a day you know? And why not the day of rest. Literally called the day of rest so I'll take it. So sorry about that.

But the real announcement is that I'll bring back my journal posts where I write old journal entries. They are fantastic you guys! Fantastic!

Be excited...

Ok bye.


2 comments:

Helen said...

We were looking at a journal I had kept right after Madalynn was born. It was really a calendar that I jotted things down in. A lot of the entries were, "All of the kids had straight 'A's.". So, yes, lots of time passed without much more commentary than that. Good insights, don't punch yourself in the throat too hard!

Ruth said...

always enjoy your writings....funny and thoughtful!